Questions to consider as you prepare for a life in missions!
We understand that the world of missions may seem to be a huge scary unknown. What if there’s something you haven’t considered… and it’s IMPORTANT? This Ultimate Checklist is meant to help you think through the questions that matter. Don’t worry – these things aren’t checked off as ‘completely accomplished’ for anyone. We just hope you will be encouraged through this process as you see how far God has already brought you. And maybe we’ll remind you of something you wish you’d remembered.
Abiding with Jesus – Am I …
Don’t miss your free copy of
The Ultimate Preparation Checklist for a Life in Missions
- growing since I first met Jesus? Jot down one way that God has changed you.
- feeding myself through study of God’s Word? Write some highlights of what the Lord has said to you in the past month from the Word.
- developing my prayer life? – Jot down one thing God has answered in prayer this week.
Character / Personal Growth – Am I…
- demonstrating fruit of the spirit? List one way you’ve seen this fruit in you this week.
- quick to repent? List one thing you’ve repented of this week.
- quick to forgive? Name one thing God’s given you grace to forgive this week.
- full of integrity? Name one time you chose truth recently.
- living in humility? Name one time you saw God’s strength through your weakness.
- learning how to handle conflict well? List one thing you’ve learned about handling conflict.
- learning how to handle failure? Name a failure Jesus has brought you through this month.
Family – Do I…
- have a healthy marriage (if applies)? Ask your spouse, your kids, your godly close friends what you do well and what you need to learn.
- need to consider my kid’s readiness to go? Talk with them about the loss of current friends, the making of new ones, & the changing of circumstances (no Wi-Fi maybe?).
- need to consider responsibilities like adult kids or aging parents? Jot down a prayer to God asking him for wisdom if this applies to you.
- understand schooling options for my kids? Talk through if you and your kids are ready for the possibility of boarding school or home schooling.
Relationship with others – What…
- characterizes your relationship with those you work with or live near? Write down how you have been described.
- is it about your life that draws people to you/ renders others cold toward you? Write down what comes to mind.
- shows that you are interested in others? Give an example of when you listened more than you talked of yourself in the last few days.
Church Participation – Am I…
- involved with a local church? Write down ways you have served in your church in the past and currently.
- sent by my church? Write down how your church has supported you and confirmed the leading God has given you to share Jesus in another culture. List those who are praying for you or who are willing to support you financially.
Biblical Formation – Do I…
- understand the core Biblical doctrine? Describe how God is healing the broken relationships in this world (between people and God and between people and each other) using specific Scriptures. Write down your understanding of what it means to be a follower of Jesus from Scripture.
- know how to articulate my faith? Write down your core beliefs and why you believe them.
- need to take formal Bible classes? Check with your sending church or organization to see if these are required.
Professional Training – Am I…
- prepared for a certain job on the field? Write down a life skill you plan to use in your new host country.
- in need of certification &/or licensing? Write down any needed classes or certification you need to pursue for your intended job.
God’s Leading – Can I…
- put in words how God led me to consider missions? Write down how God has led you so far in this journey toward sharing the Good News in another culture.
- name a specific mission agency I feel connected with? Write a list of agencies that you are considering working with if you know of any.
Evangelism & Discipleship Training – Do I…
- have a heart for reaching out beyond my own life? How have you demonstrated this in the last month?
- know how to share the Good News about Jesus? Write down a brief summary of this Good News.
- have the tools you need? Jot down questions you may want to pursue answers for.
- continue to train in Discipleship making? Write down where you are learning now or where you could learn.
- train others already in following Jesus? Write down one way you are training others in following Jesus this week.
Church Planting Training – Have I…
- thought about planting a church? Write down your thoughts as you pray about this.
- considered being trained to plant a church? Write down where you might get training.
Cross Cultural Preparation – Do I…
- know how to adjust to new cultures? Write down how you handle change or being different.
- understand the religion in my potential new host country? Do a little research online to start or even better talk to someone.
- understand the culture in my potential new host country? Do some research and talk to someone who has lived there for more than a year.
- plan to learn the language? Research what language is most spoken in your potential host culture. Make a plan of how you will learn. You may want to find some flash cards (online even) and build your vocabulary in your free time.
If you asked yourself these questions and realized that you are ready to take the next step toward missions, here are a few things you may want to do.
Mission Agency Selection
- Research agencies – Go to themissionapp.com to search easily.
- Look for options – Talk to people you know about what is available.
- Find an agency that matches your purpose – Think through how God is leading you in terms of ministry, people group, and location.
- Send in preliminary application – You can choose to fill out our one application which we will send to multiple agencies that fit your purpose.
- Fill out full-time application or interview with your choice of agencies – Call them if they don’t call you.
- Attend mission agency orientation – You will be given the details of where and when.
- Attend any extra training required – You will be given the details of what is required.
- Raise up prayer partners (at least 100) – Start with your small group, your church, your family, your friends.
- Start communicating to prayer partners – You can use a group email or Facebook page or Instagram. Be consistent in reporting requests and answers. (Remember to consider security if you are moving to a creative access country)
- Decide the model of how you will be supported – Your mission agency will help you think this through.
- Start fundraising – Let people know what it is exactly that you will be doing and what your financial needs are.
You see? It’s not so bad. Now that the adventure of missions is not so UNKNOWN, you’ve got a clearer picture of where you stand and what to do next. Grab ahold of God’s hand and GO!